Thursday, October 11, 2012

2 Years

 As I reflect on the two year anniversary of my dad's death, my heart keeps coming back to my kids.

When I received the text from Alec on Monday night asking if he could wear Grandpa Jack's suspenders to school for nerd day my immediate reaction was "No". What if something happens to them? What if they get ruined? I was blessed to be surrounded by some amazing friends who encouraged me to say "Yes". Yes to reviving the suspenders. Yes to giving them new purpose. Boy am I glad I listened because Dad would've loved this picture of his grandson.


When I find myself dwelling on all the things my daughter's missed with her grandpa, I remind myself that he gave her something in the short time they were together that is irreplaceable - compassion. And then tonight my daughter and her daddy got to spend a special night at preschool - a night just for preschoolers and their daddies. How perfect. Priceless, really.

I'll always be a daddy's girl. I'll forever thank him for teaching me to change a headlight, for encouraging me to get my Master's Degree, for my flashlight holding skills, for always having jumper cables in my car and knowing how to use them, and for making feel like the most special girl in the world.


2 comments:

Andy and Jenni said...

Love. Love the post, LOVE the pictures. And love to you...

Nick and Erin said...

Ditto to Jenni. LOVE this one.