Thursday, December 6, 2012

Jump!


We were at a friend's (and if pre-arranged marriage was acceptable I'd be able to type family) birthday party and all the kids were jumping off the stage, well all except for the one year old birthday boy and my soon-to-be four year old. Grandmas held hands, friends cheered, other showed examples, & one special little boy offered to catch. 

You could see the struggle in Molly - she wanted to jump because the other kids were (did the clique if all the other kids jumped off the bridge would you? just run through your mind?) but man that floor was all of 2 feet away. She thought and thought and just when we were sure she was ready to let go she thought some more. And then the time came and she shimmied off the stage without any help - once.

It was super frustrating for me to watch her take so.much.time to process something that she should have freely enjoyed but as I'm typing this I hope she never loses that need to process as I believe it will make her a much safer teenager!

2 comments:

Nick and Erin said...

That photo is priceless. And I'm with you...cautious=better-decision-making. Impulse may be fun at times...well...you know what I'm gettin' at.

Andy and Jenni said...

This *is* a GREAT photo!!