Saturday, September 10, 2011

Capture

When I fell in love with Mike, Alec captured a corner of my heart. We've journeyed through elementary and middle school together; hunkering down with flashcards of facts, ironing game day clothes at 6:30a.m., and running to school when something was forgotten.

We've cried, yelled, snuggled, and smiled.

Before my eyes the other day, Alec became a teenager and that corner of my heart wept. It longed for that little boy I played Stratego with on lazy summer afternoons; the one I used to need a babysitter for. Mixed with this ache is a dose of pride. Pride when I see him take time to play with his little sister, when he says "I love you" in semi-public places, when he thanks me for the simplest of tasks - trips to the driving range, time with friends, or letting him choose what to have for dinner, and when he asks how he can help when Mike is working late.

I used to muse about who Alec would be when he grew up, I now witness glimmers of this man and he captures my heart all over again.

4 comments:

Andy and Jenni said...

Awesome. Lucky boy to grow up under your influence! Lucky you to witness the man your boy's becoming.

Linda K. said...

Beautiful post, Mary. You can hear the pride and love in your "voice."

Anonymous said...

i've been reading your blog since the beginning and this post is one of the nicest. it's been a privilege to watch your lovely family grow up - including mom and dad.

Beth Ann said...

It gives me joy and some sadness ( for times gone by) to read about your experiences with Alec's becoming a young man. If you can weather it, so can I : )