Saturday, November 22, 2008

What we do for our children

My blood pressure has not been cooperating as of late and at a followup appointment on Friday, the midwife sent me to Riverside for 3 1/2 hours of monitoring. But before we left the office, she handed Mike a white grocery-like bag. Like anyone, he couldn't wait to open it to see what was inside (see below).


What Mike found was a "hat" that I get to place in the toilet for 24 hours to collect my "specimen" to store in the stylish orange bucket. Then on Monday morning, I get to return the full bucket to the doctor's office for evaluation of my kidney function.


While at the hospital we did get to hear the baby's heartbeat the entire time, which was both awesome and unnerving every time it went high or dropped low enough to sound the alarm. All was normal, as our heart rates fluctuate. My lab work came back in the normal range and blood pressures remained low as long as I was lying down, once I sat up my blood pressure followed suit. The doctor has decided that I need about 6 hours of bed rest a day to regulate my pressure, so I pretty much get to go to work and lay on the couch.


Mike and I were joking in the hospital that when asked what we did the night before the big Michigan vs. OSU game, we can tell how crazy the party got in the maternity ward of Riverside! But all is worth it to keep the baby healthy and prevent us from meeting our little bundle of joy too soon.

1 comment:

Nick and Erin said...

My what an eventful night little Wendel gave you!! Glad to hear things are ok. How far along are you? Go to lillypie.com and create a ticker...so I can follow along. :)

LOVE the blog. We need pictures of Mama and baby-in-the-belly!

Miss you.